For everyday makeup, your go-to’s may include basics like taupe eye shadow, soft liner, light mascara, and tinted gloss but when you want to turn up the drama awards season provides the perfect inspiration.
Even if you’re nowhere near a red carpet on Hollywood’s biggest night, you probably checked out the spectacular dresses, to-die-for hair, and makeup from the comfort of your couch.
One of the most exciting things at the latest awards ceremonies is the actresses’ trading-up neutral shades in favor of bold colors. To create your own big-night-out look that’s still wearable, try adding in strategic pops of color. Wearing strong shades on both lips and eyes isn’t the faux pas you might think it is.
The key to allover color is to look for shades in the same color family. Leave at least one part of your face mostly color-free, and by perfect your skin to create a clean “canvas” for your red carpet look.
How-To: Bold Bright’s For A Big Night Out
1. Start by applying a nourishing moisturizer like Simple Skincare Replenishing Rich Moisturizer to a clean face.
2. Skip layers of foundation and go for a fresh, glowing look by applying concealer only where you really need it (try adding a little at the corners of your eyes and around the edges of your nose, as well as to any blemishes).
3. Next, use a large brush to apply a sheer wash of rose to your cheeks (remember: a little goes a long way with this look, since the emphasis is on lips and eyes).
4. Apply a pale shadow to your whole lid and up to the brow bone to brighten your eyes, and then use a soft brush to blend a plum shadow into the crease and onto the center of the eyelid. Finish with liquid eyeliner on the top lid and a little black kohl pencil smudged along the outer 1/3” of your lower lid (and lots of mascara, of course).
5. On your lips, try a rich watermelon shade (go for a cool shade to match the tone of your eye shadow). Create a sheer, modern effect by applying the lipstick with your fingertip rather than straight from the tube. Finish with a non-glossy balm on top.
6. When the evening’s over, don’t forget to use Simple Skincare Eye Make-Up Remover and Moisturizing Facial Wash to soothe skin and prep it for a restorative night’s sleep.